This site uses cookies that store non-personal information to help us improve our site.

Events

Denbigh townsfolk are an active bunch, so there’s always plenty going on that you’re welcome to join in.
Here is just a sample of what we get up to:

***NEWS*** (22 – 24 September 2017)

 

This Weekend: Denbigh Open Doors; Denbigh Beer Festival; Town Hall Centenary

SATURDAY - FREE PARKING!!

Open Doors - Bryn-y-Parc (23 – 24 September 2017)

Bryn Y Parc, Grade II* Listed Building | Park Street, LL16 3DB

Bryn Y Parc is an important early town house dating from the mid16th century. The building is a complex arrangement of different builds, some timber framed and some stone built set around a central courtyard. The timbers date from 1540 in the earliest section and up to 1580 in the later additions. The building suffered a severe fire in 2002 but has now been sensitively restored by the owner into residential accommodation.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Restricted access to exterior of building and courtyard. Owner Tom Smith will be available to answer questions.

Open Doors - Denbigh Museum (23 – 24 September 2017)

Denbigh Museum, Grove Road, LL16 3UU

The building started life as Fron Goch County Primary School in 1877, and was built in local dressed limestone. The building was converted into a Magistrates’ Court and offices in 1987, but was closed in 2013. The building still retains one of the magistrates’ courts and cells. The building has now been acquired to create a new Denbigh museum for the town. 

NEWHF has been established as a voluntary initiative to celebrate, conserve and promote the rich heritage of the region. It aims to pull together existing local and regional history and heritage societies, groups and organisations – including archive and museum services – to foster collaborative working for regional heritage projects and the sharing of experiences, best practice and resources. Members will be on hand to explain and exhibit their work.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Accessible from Grove Road

Open Doors - The Carriageworks (23 – 24 September 2017)

The Carriageworks, Unit 1-2, 6 Love Lane, LL16 3LU

This three storey industrial building was the premises of Williams Brothers, coach builders. They made all types of horse drawn carts, carriages, broughams and traps. Each floor specialised in the fabricating the various components. The top floor housed the upholstery workshop, the first floor, wooden chassis and accessories whilst heavy ironwork was made in the ground floor forge. Each floor was connected by hinged trap doors large enough to pass the assemblies down using chain hoists.

At the turn of the19th century, when motorcars arrived, Williams Brothers turned to fitting coachwork to chassis manufactured by engineers. The strong industrial character of the building and many of the features and artefacts are retained in the recent restoration.

After a variety of uses, it is now an arts and crafts centre with all three floors occupied and run for the benefit of the local community.

Saturday and Sunday 10am–4pm | Accessible with stairs to upper floors.

Open Doors - Theatr Twm o'r Nant (23 – 24 September 2017)

Theatr Twm o’r Nant Grade II Listed Building | Station Road, LL16 3DA

The Grade II listed building was built and donated to the town in 1890 by Dr Evan Pierce as a Memorial Hall in memory of his mother. By the 1970s it had fallen into disrepair but was restored and renamed Theatr Twm o’r Nant after the 18th century Welsh playwright Thomas Edwards, who is known as the Cambrian Shakespeare.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Accessible

Open Doors - Wireless in Wales Museum (23 – 24 September 2017)

Canolfan Iaith Clwyd, Lenten Pool, Denbigh, LL16 3LF

Wireless in Wales Radio Museum situated on the ground floor of Canolfan Iaith Clwyd/ Popeth Cymraeg was established in 2008. Its purpose is to create an awareness of the importance of radio and broadcasting to the preservation of the Welsh language and identity. The museum is proud of its collection of antique radios, valves, literature and ephemera which cover the period of 1920 to 1960.

Activities for families, Morse code, Arts and crafts, vintage radio and Radio Amateurs demonstrations

11:00 - 15:00 Arts and Crafts

11.00 - 13.00 Guided tours

14.00 - Saturday only: Re-enactment by Lowri Williams: “David Edward Hughes the Inventor”

15:00 - 16:00 Museum open

 

11.00am- 4.00pm

Access: accessible

Open Doors - Denbigh Friary (23 – 24 September 2017)

Denbigh Friary Denbigh Grade II* Listed Building | Rhyl Road, LL16 3DT

Denbigh Friary is a ruined monastic religious house located in Denbighshire, Wales. It is situated in the valley of the River Clwyd and was founded in 1343-50. The friary was dedicated to St Mary, and was a Carmelite community. The English Benedictine abbot, Robert Parfew was involved in the 18 August 1538 surrender of the Carmelites of Denbigh Friary. During the Dissolution, some of the buildings were turned into houses, while wool was sold in the churchyard. The ruins are mostly from the 13th and 15th centuries, and include parts of a choir, a gable end, and nave walls.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Accessible

Open Doors - St Marcella’s Church (23 – 24 September 2017)

St Marcella’s Church Grade I Listed Building | Whitchurch Road, LL16 4ER

Built on the site of the 7th century cell of St Marcella, the church is a classic example of the ‘Vale of Clwyd’ twin-naved style and is largely the result of a late perpendicular remodelling of around 1500. Exceptionally fine and well preserved, it is one of the most important churches in North Wales and contains some notable monuments. Buried inside are the map-maker Humphrey Llwyd, members of the powerful Salusbury family and the heart of Richard Clough, the Denbigh-born merchant. Outside is the grave of Twm o’r Nant, poet of Denbigh.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm - Sunday service 10.30am. | Accessible

Open Doors - St Mary's Church (23 – 24 September 2017)

Henllan Place, Grade II* Listed Building

LL16 3TN

St Mary’s was built in 1874 to replace the medieval church of St Hilary within the old town walls. Designed by local architects Lloyd Williams and Underwood the church contains an excellent but controversial reredos (the carving on the east wall behind the altar), condemned at the time as “an inducement to Popery and a betrayal of the principles of the Reformation”. Other features include the Flemish dossal (back panel) of 1530 in finely woven tapestry and the very fine Arts & Crafts stained glass windows lighting the nave

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm; Saturday - Afternoon tea and family activities by the Mother's Union (2:30-4:30), Sunday service 11am | Accessible

Open Doors - Denbigh Town Walls (23 – 24 September 2017)

Denbigh Town Walls Grade I Listed Building, Scheduled Ancient Monument | Bull Lane, LL16 3SN

The town walls encompass the old town and castle of Denbigh and extend for almost two thirds of a mile. Work began in 1282 and included the 20m high Goblin Tower, built to enclose and protect the only reliable water source for the castle. The walls held back the besieging force of Oliver Cromwell’s Roundheads for nine months during the Civil War, when the garrison was defended by Colonel William Salesbury, ‘Old blue stockings’. The wall walk from the Countess Tower to the Goblin Tower affords superb views across the Vale of Clwyd to Moel Famau and the Clwydian Range.

Saturday and Sunday 11am-4pm | Accessible with many steps and uneven surfaces - suitable footwear recommended.

Open Doors - Leicester's Church (23 – 24 September 2017)

Leicester’s Church Grade I Listed Building, Scheduled Ancient Monument | Bull Lane, LL16 3SN

Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester and favourite of Elizabeth I, began building Leicester’s Church in 1578. It was dedicated to St David and was part of Leicester’s grand plan, apparently with the intention of transferring the See from St Asaph to Denbigh. In 1584, work was suspended and the structure remained incomplete on his death in 1588. The church was originally conceived as a ten bay arcaded rectangular church. The imposing ruins are the remains of the first and probably the most ambitious Protestant church to be started after the Reformation.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Access - uneven steps into the Church.

Open Doors - Denbigh Castle (23 – 24 September 2017)

Denbigh Castle Grade I Listed Building, Scheduled Ancient Monument | Castle Hill, LL16 3NH

Visitor centre with low-impact environmental design features.

Denbigh Castle is one of the fortresses that formed King Edward I’s “ring of castles”, four of which (Caernarfon, Conwy, Harlech and Beaumaris) have been named World Heritage sites.

Construction of the Castle began in 1282 by Henry de Lacy, one of Edward I’s chief commanders. It was not the first stronghold to occupy this strategic site: it was built over the stronghold of Dafydd ap Gruffudd, the Welsh leader crushed by Edward in 1282. During the Civil War (1642-1649), the then decaying castle was repaired by Colonel William Salesbury. In 1646 the castle endured a nine month siege. When Denbigh finally surrendered on 26 October 1646, it was only after the King had personally ordered Salesbury to do so.

Tours at 11am, 1pm and 3pm

Although admission to this event is free, it is a ticketed event. To obtain a ticket, please click on the link: http://cadw.gov.wales/events/allevents/open-doors-denbigh-castle-2017/?lang=en

Saturday and Sunday 11am-4pm | Accessible – some steps and rough terrain

Open Doors - Burgess Gate (23 – 24 September 2017)

Burgess Gate Grade I Listed Building, Scheduled Ancient Monument | Castle Hill, LL16 3NH

This fortified gatehouse was the entry to the walled town from 1282 onwards and had portcullis, murder holes and arrow slits. It was one of a pair of gateways; the other being the now lost Exchequer Gate. Both were built between 1282 and 1294 by Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, under licence from Edward I and were probably designed by the leading military architect of the day, Master James of St George. The twin towers of Burgess Gate form the symbol on Denbigh’s civic seal. The building has also been used as a council chamber and a prison.

Saturday and Sunday 11am-4pm | Accessible with step up into tower.

Denbigh Beer Festival (23 September 2017)

Denbigh Beer Festival hosted by Denbigh and District Round Table

This years Beer Festival is held at Denbigh Town Hall. There will be around 35 beers and numerous ciders available and sourced from micro-breweries in the North Wales and Chester area,a few pints of the world famous Wrexham lager and numerous Welsh ciders.

Venue: Town Hall, Crown Lane, Denbigh, LL16 3TB

Time: 12:30pm - 10:30pm

Entry: £5

For further details see: https://www.denbighbeerfestival.org/

Open Doors 2017 (23 – 24 September 2017)

A wonderful range of interesting, unusual and beautiful historic homes and buildings will be open to the public for tours and talk this September. This fascinating weekend is part of a European wide programme and brought to you by Denbigh Open Doors Group with the support of Cadw, Denbigh Town Council and Grŵp Cynefin

In addition to these buildings/sites a number of events, exhibitions and tours will be available

Details of all these will be published on this website and in a separate booklet in due course.

Remember to keep checking this website!

Open Doors - Dr Evan Pierce Memorial Garden (23 – 24 September 2017)

Dr Evan Pierce Memorial Garden Grade II* Listed Building, Grade II Registered Historic Garden | Vale Street, LL16 3BW

Dr Evan Pierce himself built the 50ft column topped by his statue to mark his philanthropy as Coroner, JP, Alderman and five times Mayor of Denbigh. It also commemorates his work as a medical doctor during the cholera epidemic of 1838. Dr Pierce lived in Salisbury Place opposite and would have been able to look at his image from his window.

This is a small Victorian public garden with a formal layout containing two fountains at the entrance that commemorate Victoria’s Jubilee.

Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm | Accessible

Open Doors - Beatrix Potter Garden, Gwaenynog Hall (23 – 24 September 2017)

Beatrix Potter Garden, Gwaenynog Hall, Pentrefoelas Road, LL16 5NU

Beatrix Potter, the creator of Peter Rabbit regularly visited Gwaenynog Hall during the 1890s, the home of her uncle. Open Doors offers you a chance to see the garden and the potting shed that inspired her to write and illustrate the children's classic "The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies".

Saturday and Sunday 12 noon–4pm | Accessible | Access located 1.2 miles from the Library along the A543

Open Doors - Gwasg Gee (23 – 24 September 2017)

Gwasg Gee, Chapel Street, LL16 3SP

Gwasg Gee was Wales’s oldest independent printing press established in 1809. Managed by Thomas Gee (1815-1898) and by Kate Roberts (1891-1985), it closed its doors in 2001. In the nineteenth century, the printing press set in motion Wales’s “information revolution” through the printed word. Basic literacy to read the Bible was no longer enough. The men and women of the new Wales needed newspapers, magazines and encyclopaedias to hold their own, and make their voices heard.
Saturday and Sunday 11am-3pm |The property will be open with access to the courtyard only

Open Doors - Denbigh Infirmary Chapel (23 – 24 September 2017)

Infirmary Chapel, Ruthin Road, LL16 3ES

Denbigh Infirmary opened its doors in 1807, initially as a dispensary, located in a building on Brook Lane (Factory Place).  This was the first of its kind in North Wales and possibly the whole of Wales.  By 1811, land had been acquired and a news hospital built known as the Denbighshire General Dispensary and Asylum for the Recovery of Health.  Over the years a number of extensions were added which provided additional beds, a laundry and accommodation for fever patients.  In 1957, a new nurses’ home and chapel were opened.  Open Doors provides an unique opportunity for visitors  to learn more about this historic hospital.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Accessible

Open Doors - Brookhouse Pottery (23 – 24 September 2017)

Brookhouse Pottery, Brookhouse, LL16 4RE

This early 19th century building was originally a malt house supplying the local pubs and breweries. It is robustly built in stone directly on the river which supplied the water for the malting process. Originally it had three floors with very cramped headroom between each. The process demanded generous floor area to maximise the size of the shallow malting cisterns. With the development of industrialised malting the building fell into disuse and in the mid-sixties was converted for use as a pottery. Because of the sturdy construction and sympathetic conversion the strong character remains. The busy pottery run by David and Margaret Frith is an ideal user for this lovely riverside building.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Open on both days with demonstrations of their work provided throughout Sunday | Access: steps down to the building

Open Doors - Denbigh Library (23 – 24 September 2017)

Denbigh Library – Information point – a good place to start

Grade II* Listed Building | Hall Square (High Street), LL16 3NU

The Library was formerly the County Hall. It was erected in 1572 as a Shire Hall under the patronage of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, as part of his ambitious plans to become the most powerful man in the country with Denbigh as the seat of his realm. The building is an excellent example of early civic architecture in Wales. The original structure had a council and justice chamber above a colonnaded covered market. It was remodelled in 1780 and again more recently when it was converted to the town’s library.

Saturday and Sunday 9.30am-4 pm | Accessible

Open Doors - Elwy Bank, St Asaph (23 – 24 September 2017)

Elwy Bank, St Asaph | Grade II Listed Building | High Street, St Asaph, LL17 0RD

A Grade II listed building dating to c.1790, Elwy Bank was once a High Street Bank. The most remarkable feature of this building is the collection of murals in the drawing room – hidden from view by wallpaper and forgotten for generations. It’s thought that the murals were painted by Hugh Hughes c.1825. Today it’s a private house.

Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm | Access to drawing room only.| Step to front door

Open Doors - Denbigh Ale Trail (23 September 2017)

Denbigh Ale Trail

Start: 1:30pm

Meeting point: Denbigh Library – tour last 1.5 hours

To coincide with the Denbigh Beer Festival this tour gives visitors a flavour of the history of brewing, the numerous pubs, malt houses and bottling yards that existed in Denbigh along with the attempts of the temperance movement to close them down. A teetotal tour but with an opportunity to quench your thirst afterwards if so tempted!

To pre-book contact Denbigh Library (01745 816313)

Access: Walk up and down hill and narrow pavements

Open Doors - Gwaenynog Tour (23 September 2017)

Gwaenynog Tour

Start: 1:30pm

Meeting point: In front of Caledfryn offices, Smithfield Road LL16 3RJ; Ample parking. Tour lasts approx. 2hrs

A guided historical tour (approx. 3 miles) from Denbigh taking in Galch Hill en route to Gwaenynog, home of the Myddelton family.

To pre-book contact Denbigh Library (01745 816313)

Access: Across fields (public footpath) and stiles, suitable footwear required

Denbigh Town Hall Centenary Celebrations (24 September 2017)

On evening of Friday, 28th September 1917, "the Mayor of Denbigh, Councillor Robert Owen, J.P., formally opened the new Town Hall of Denbigh, and thus declared open for the use of the public a very fine,
well-built and commodious structure."

To mark the centenary a full day of activities has been organised:

Timetable

10.00am: Crown Square - Official Opening by The Mayor, Cllr Roy Tickle

10.00am: Crown Square – Guided Tour of Town & Town Hall

10.00am: Vale Street – Stalls Open

10.00am: Crown Square - Fair Ground Opens

11.00am: Crown Square - Punch & Judy

12.00pm: Council Chamber – Display of 1917 Time Capsule

12.00am: Crown Square – Guided Tour of Town & Town Hall

12.15am: Crown Square – Magician

1.00pm: Crown Square - Punch & Judy

1.00pm-3.00pm: Town Hall – Tea Dance

1.00pm-3.00pm: Crown Square – Live Music

2.00pm: Crown Square – Magician

4.00pm: Event Closes

Denbigh Town Hall, Crown Lane, Denbigh, LL16 3TB

Open Doors - A tour of Myddelton College (formerly Howell’s School) (24 September 2017)

A tour of Myddelton College (formerly Howell’s School)

Start: 2:00pm

Meeting point: Myddelton College, Peake’s Lane - (main entrance); follow signs. Tour last approx. 1 .5 hours

Howell’s School was an independent school for girls and was open from 1859 to 2013. It is the legacy derived from the Will of Thomas Howell, a Welshman and merchant draper of the City of London, who died in 1537. A new school, Myddelton College, opened its doors in September 2016. Join Wendy Grey-Lloyd on a tour of the grounds of the school to learn more about Thomas Howell and the school itself.

To pre-book contact Denbigh Library (01745 816313)

Access: Some steps, gravel paths, lawns

Open Doors - Discover Medieval Denbigh (24 September 2017)

Discover Medieval Denbigh

Start: 11:00am & 2:00pm

Meeting point: Denbigh Library. Tour lasts approx. 2hrs

A 1.5 mile walk through Denbigh with Fiona Gale, Denbighshire County Council Archaeologist, exploring the Walls, Leicester’s Church, St Hilary’s Tower, Burgess Gate and the exterior of the Castle.

To pre-book contact Denbigh Library (01745 816313) specifying which tour you would like to register for.

Access: some steep hills, suitable footwear required

Open Doors - Geology Tour (24 September 2017)

Geology Tour

Start: 10:30am

Meeting point: Denbigh Library. Tour lasts approx. 1.5 hours

Why is Denbigh special? What has it got in common with Africa & Australia? Where do the building materials of Denbigh come from? Where is Denbigh’s Snake Building? Find the answers to these questions & learn more about the real story behind Denbigh on a short tour of the town’s geological past.

To pre-book contact Denbigh Library (01745 816313)

Access: Walk up and down hill and narrow pavements

Denbigh Plum Feast (7 October 2017)

The Denbigh Plum is a variety unique to the town, so it seems only right for us to honour it with its very own festival! The plum is soon to be granted protected geographical status – watch this space…

The feast lasts all day, with a magnificent range of dishes on offer. Come and taste for yourself!

Cookery demonstration by Ellis Barrie of the Marram Grass Restaurant

Town Hall, Crown Square, Denbigh, LL16 3TB

Time: 10:00-4:00

Admission: FREE

Parking: FREE all day

Denbigh Film Club - The Third Man (1949) (13 October 2017)

Denbigh Film Club presents "The Third Man" (1949) (PG) Film noir/Thriller

An out of work pulp fiction novelist, Holly Martins, arrives in a post war Vienna divided into sectors by the victorious allies, and where a shortage of supplies has lead to a flourishing black market. He arrives at the invitation of an ex-school friend, Harry Lime, who has offered him a job, only to discover that Lime has recently died in a peculiar traffic accident. From talking to Lime’s friends and associates Martins soon notices that some of the stories are inconsistent, and determines to discover what really happened to Harry Lime. Synopsis from www.imdb.com

Doors open 7:00pm. Film starts 7.30pm.

Bar and Refreshments available. Tickets £4 on the door

See www.denbighfilmclub.co.uk for further details of this and other films

Theatr Twm o'r Nant, Station Road, LL16 3DA

Denbigh Film Club - Big Eyes (2014) (10 November 2017)

Denbigh Film Club presents "Big Eyes" (2014) (12) Drama

In San Francisco in the 1950s, Margaret was a woman trying to make it on her own after leaving her husband with only her daughter and her paintings. She meets gregarious ladies’ man and fellow painter Walter Keane in a park while she was struggling to make an impact with her drawings of children with big eyes.

The two quickly become a pair with outgoing Walter selling their paintings and quiet Margaret holed up at home painting even more children with big eyes. But Walter’s actually selling her paintings as his own. A clash of financial success and critical failure soon sends Margaret reeling in her life of lies. With Walter still living the high life, Margaret’s going to have to try making it on her own again and re-claiming her name and her paintings. Synopsis from www.imdb.com

Doors open 7:00pm. Film starts 7.30pm.

Bar and Refreshments available. Tickets £4 on the door

See www.denbighfilmclub.co.uk for further details of this and other films

Theatr Twm o'r Nant, Station Road, LL16 3DA

Rememberance Sunday (12 November 2017)

The annual Rememberance Sunday Service takes place on the 8th November by the Cenotaph, Crown Square. Commences 10:30am

Denbigh Film Club - 45 Years (2015) (1 December 2017)

Denbigh Film Club presents "45 Years" (2015)(15) Drama/Romance

The story centers around a retired, childless couple, Kate (Charlotte Rampling) and Geoff (Tom Courtenay) who have been married for 45 years. One day Geoff receives a letter telling him that the body of his ex-lover before his marriage, Katya, has been found fully preserved in the Swiss glaciers. This event as well as the approaching arrival of their 45th anniversary coerces the couple into re-evaluating their relationship, the choices they have made in life, and their deepest desires. Synopsis from www.imdb.com

Doors open 7:00pm. Film starts 7.30pm.

Bar and Refreshments available. Tickets £4 on the door

See www.denbighfilmclub.co.uk for further details of this and other films

Theatr Twm o'r Nant, Station Road, LL16 3DA

Pigstock The Movie (29 October 2016 – 29 October 2018) Ongoing

www.pigstockthemovie.org

Denbigh Market (7 January 2015 – 30 December 2018) Wednesdays 9.00am–4.00pm

Traditional weekly market held every Wednesday

Crown Square and Market Hall

The People's Market, last Friday of the month 9.00am–2.00pm

A monthly market, held on the last Friday of every month at the Market Hall in Crown Square, this is a firm favourite with locals and visitors alike, where home-made produce and crafts are for sale. Occasionally, Denbigh also hosts Welsh, French and other European markets, with music and entertainment as well.

Le Roc Jive

Every Wednesday 8.00–10.30pm

Town Hall